Monday 6 February 2012

Food Restrictions: Trial or Blessing?

I have many food sensitivities that seem to be ever increasing.  This can make food preparation VERY challenging!!!  I have had to say goodbye to many of my favourite foods over the years, and trust me, the tragedy of this reality has been difficult to accept.  I keep pleading with God, 'Oh please just don't take away dairy from me', or 'Please don't take away honey, black tea, or maple syrup'.  The list goes on and on, and God's answer is, 'How much are you willing to deny for Me, will you gracefully give up your most beloved foods for My purposes even when you don't yet know what those purposes are?'  I could refuse, and cling to those foods, harming my body more and more so that I am harming the temple of the Holy Spirit.  Or I could give in to the food restrictions, but be filled with resentment, envying everyone who has the privilege of eating an ice cream cone, granola for breakfast, earl grey lattes, cheesecake, creamy pastas, croissants, vietnamese deep fried spring rolls, pad thai, green curry, and all my other favourite foods.  But that would be a miserable existence, especially since I am always around people who eat what I cannot eat.

God has called me to put these 'earthly treasures' on the altar, to sacrifice them, and peacefully submit to Him.  Therefore, I want to honour God by joyfully accepting even these small sufferings.  In God's grace, He has in turn blessed me by giving me access to a whole new realm of food.  It's like I've discovered new colours, each one uniquely beautiful and alive!!!  When people have food restrictions, they often try to replace what they used to like with something comparable (like replacing a grilled cheese sandwich with gluten free bread and soy cheese).  However, I've discovered that trying to mimic foods is often very disappointing, and only makes me want the original more.  Instead, God has shown me how to love to food I am able to eat, without comparing it to something else.  I am able to enjoy it for what it is, something filled with new flavours to experience!!!  I am learning to enjoy my new foods more than I every enjoyed the old foods.  These new foods are filled with flavour, but are also far healthier so they are guilt-free!!!  Now I rarely every feel guilty about what I have eaten, even when I have dessert!!!  The only time I feel guilty is if I have cheated, and had a bit what will hurt me (even 'healthy' things, like tomato, piece of cheese, lentils).  But this guilt is not so much because I fear weight gain or high cholesterol, but because I know I will experience lots of pain in my intestines, and will be prevented from giving all my attention to my family because it will take time to heal.

Anyway, I just wanted to praise God for teaching me submission in this matter, and blessing me with love for the broad spectrum of foods He has created!!!  If any of you like adventure, I challenge you to try some new ways of eating your foods!!!  It's amazing what variety is out there to be enjoyed!

Here is a recipe for a Cauliflower Pasta Sauce that I whipped up last night.  It is vegan for those who are vegetarians (I can't have dairy, and I am taking a small break from meat for the next couple weeks).  My whole family went crazy over it!!!  Very delicious, filling, and a new way to get in your veggies, as well as eat lighter.

Cauliflower Pasta Sauce
  • 1 head cauliflower
  • minced garlic 
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • juice of half a lemon
  • almond milk (or water, or other 'milk')
  • optional: onions, diced
Steam your head of cauliflower until it is just tender. Lightly saute your onions and garlic for a couple minutes.  Combine the cauliflower, onions and garlic into a blender.  Add remaining ingredients and blend. Add more liquid if too thick.  Pour on top of pasta (I used buckwheat noodles, which adds a lovely contrast in flavour.  Buckwheat noodles are high in protein, so you don't even need meat).  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment