Tuesday 7 February 2012

Millet

Yesterday I wrote about how I had discovered some new foods and new flavours because of my dietary restrictions.  One of those foods was millet.  Millet is a gluten-free grain, that has a lovely nutty flavour.  It looks like little yellow pellets, smaller than rice.  You can find it in natural health food stores, and even in the natural food section of many grocery stores (Uncle Bob Brand).  For me, the discovery of millet was a wonderful surprise and comfort.  I had recently discovered that I was extremely sensitive even to gluten-free oats, and I was devastated.  You may think I'm weird, but I LOVE oatmeal porridge, as well as granola, and baked goods made with oats.  If I had to choose between being able to have wheat, or being able to have oats, there would be no contest!!!  Oats would be the hands down winner.  Anyway, I had a pretty heavy heart over this matter of losing oats from my diet when I tried millet.  Now, don't get me wrong, millet is NOTHING like oats.  However, the new flavour and texture of millet delighted me.  It was like a gift from heaven, God comforting my soul and telling me that my life wouldn't be completely devoid of enjoyment in food.  I realise I may seem a little melodramatic, but before you judge, please imagine your favourite food and then finding out it significantly hurts your body with great amounts of pain to the point of being unable to function when eating it.  Imagine your future without your favourite food, but having to see it all around you, enjoyed by everyone else but you.  It's a big deal, isn't it!!!  Well, God used millet to soothe my soul, and help me to submit to my circumstances.

You cook millet like you cook any other grain.  Put in a pot, put plenty of water over it, bring it to a boil, then let it simmer until the water is soaked up by the grain (just like with rice).  I usually add some salt and oil to the water to give the millet an extra fluffiness (otherwise it can be rather dry).

Ways I like to enjoy millet:

  1. I like it just straight, with a good dab of butter or oil (I use coconut oil) and some salt.  I'll eat it like this at any meal.
  2. For breakfast, my whole family likes it cooked with raisins, and then we add almond or peanut butter, and again some salt.  It's delicious!!!  If it seems dry, I'll also add some oil.
  3. As a salad, I love to add grated carrots, parsley, brocolli and a homemade lemon vinaigrette (olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and sea salt).  Sometimes I add tahini to the vinaigrette which gives it a different flavour.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, praise the Lord, Lynette. The Lord is kind.

    ReplyDelete