Thursday 8 September 2011

In Memory of Sweet Sarah Nell

The Lord has been pleased to take home to His side my sweet friend Sarah Nell.  She passed away suddenly a couple of weeks ago, her funeral was just this past Saturday.  She was just a little older than I.  She leaves behind a husband, they had been married only one year.  She also leaves behind her parents, she was an only child. 

Sarah came into my life 8 years ago.  I don't know where to begin to describe how lovely she was, or what an impact she had on my life.  I was counseling/mentoring/discipling young women at His Mansion in New Hampshire.  I went there to counsel, but was incredibly frail and weak and foolish.  One of the first things we were told was that the only difference between those of us who had come to counsel and help and those of us who came to get cousel and help was the application form we filled out.  I felt the truth of this to my core, and on several occasions seriously considered signing up to get the help, rather than give it.  Anyway, it was in this context that I met Sarah.  This young lady was assigned to me - I was supposed to oversee her spiritual growth for the next several months.  She lived in my room (on the bunk above me), we ate together, worked together, suffered together, laughed together, struggled together, etc. I poured out my heart for Sarah (as I did for all my 4 girls) and sought to love her by pointing her to the hope of the gospel in Jesus Christ.  She had many things to overcome in her faith.  But I was very humbled by her.  God had already been doing a special work in her heart, and there was such a sweetness in her soul.  She came determined to learn as much as she could about God and how to serve Him.  This fervency I have seen in very few people.  She was incredibly humble, and received counsel with an open and eager heart.  I can't say that my soul is as sweet and loving as hers.  I can't say I am as humble and willing to hear rebuke as her.  Having that precious privilege of watching her press in to know God and be transformed by Him taught me more than Seminary ever could.  I learned from her humility.  God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. 

Like all of us, Sarah has probably had several ups and downs in the last 8 years.  But I know in the end she greatly loved her Lord, and desired to give her life to Him.  She had a serious leg injury, and for a while was unable to function physically.  She told me should would often lay in bed and pray to God "You got this?  I get it."  Sarah submitted to the life God had alotted to her, even in the face of physical pain and disability.  As I struggle with my own physical limitations, I wish I were more like Sarah and better able to accept from God's hand the suffering He allows in my life.

I wish I had words to express what a beautiful woman this dear friend of mine was.  I pray that her testimony would live on, and that those who have been left behind would seek to be humble and flee from pride.  God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble.

Farewell, sweet Sarah Nell.  I look forward to meeting again, in the shelter of our Saviour's arms, where I will see your face reflecting the glory of Christ.  Farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment