Monday 26 September 2011

Fragrances

As a child, I thought perfumes and other scented products were lovely.  I loved going into candle stores and smelling all the different scents they could make.  I loved going to the perfume aisle and breathing in all the lovely fragrances.  I naively believed the romantic thought that they were made from flowers and essential oils.  When I smelled the apple cinnamon candles, I thought it actually contained apples and cinnamon.  I remember especially being delighted with the thought of all the flowers used to make my favourite perfumes...I even thought it would be a great career to be the one creating and designing fragrances from God's creation.

As I grew older, I started developing a headache whenever I passed by a perfume store.  Shortly thereafter, I wasn't even able to go into those quaint little candle shops anymore. 

This year, I get incredibly sick in homes with air fresheners and certain scented bath products (Old Spice body wash kills me).  Intense pain overcomes me, I am nauseated, get headaches, and even my throat begins to swell, making it hard for me to breathe.  My doctor has recently prescribed me a puffer so that I can breathe when I encounter situations where I cannot get away from particular scents that give me too much trouble.

My reactions are nothing compared to what some of my friends go through.  They are not even able to participate in church because they are so 'allergic' to the fragrances people in the congregation wear.  They have to sit in a separate room, or not go to church at all.  They are not able to work in most workplaces.  They are not able to easily go to the mall or any other public function.  They develop very severe migraines and severe breathing problems. 

My romantic notions of 'scents' have been shattered, and now I realise these fragrances are not made from flowers and essential oils, but are made from several harmful chemicals.  These chemicals are no better and no safer than those chemicals in cigarettes.  Therefore, I ask you to consider using scent-free products, so that you do not harm yourselves, and so that you do not harm people like me who get very sick because of them.  There is growing demand for scent-free products, so you can find these items marked 'unscented' or 'fragrance free' in your local grocery store and pharmacies, as well as at health stores.

Products to avoid because they contain parfum (harmful chemicals) are:
  • perfume, cologne, aftershave
  • shampoo, conditioner, soap, body wash, body lotion, deoderants and other body and hair products
  • nail polish and remover
  • laundry detergent and dryer sheets (these can cause the most severe reactions)
  • febreze, air fresheners (one of my doctors refers to these as pure poison)
  • candles, potpourri, incense, etc.
  • household cleaning products - dish soap, window and surface cleaners, all purpose cleaners, etc.
I actually gave up using scented products several years ago after living with someone for a couple months who had a severe allergy to these chemicals.  I saw how much physical pain she suffered.  I also saw the emotional pain she suffered.  She wanted to develop friendships, but couldn't even get close to anyone who was wearing something with a fragrance.  She felt lonely and isolated.  I am beginning to understand now how she felt, as my own allergies worsen, and am forced to keep my distance from certain people wearing strong fragrances.  

I encourage you to love others by not using products that are harmful to their health.  I encourage you to act wisely on your own behalf and not use products that are harmful to your health and the health of your family.  These products are especially dangerous to young children.  Please refrain from using scented products!!!

Please read the following article by David Suzuki for more information:
http://www.davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/green-your-workplace/go-fragrance-free/

Thank you for your kind consideration of this important matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment